Friday, February 13, 2009

Tragedy in Buffalo



As many of you have heard...

A commuter plane crashed in Clarence Center New York last night, Continental flight 3407.

Here's some info...
*A commuter flight..is just that, a small plane that commutes a smaller number of passengers to various locations...this particular flight was coming from Newark New Jersey.

This is the type of plane that crashed

*Planes fly over Clarence and the surrounding areas en route to the airport..so the sound of engines overhead is not uncommon.

*Clarence Center and the surrounding area is a very rural area.


*Clarence Schools have been closed today.

*The plane crashed into a house and exploded on impact. One man in the house died and two others escaped with minor injuries.



*49 people on board died..44 passengers and 5 crew members, including one off duty pilot.

*9 fire departments have been on the scene since it happened


*This is the worst aviation disaster in Western New York History

*The worst aviation disaster since 2001.

*All that is left of the plane is the tail.

*The fire is still smoldering and is considered a 'hot spot' this morning.



Clarence Center is pretty close to us..in fact some very good friends in our ward live 1/4 of a mile from the crash. I finally got a hold of her this morning and, as you can imagine she was very shaken up...her house was right in the crash line. She told me they heard the crash and all the sirens and could see the flames from their house.
R and I were awake when this happened and I remember hearing all of these sirens around 10:30...I didn't think much of it because we are on an ambulance route and its very natural to have one go speeding by at any hour of the night..but it did strike me as funny that so many were going at once.
Obviously..a very tragic event in our community and our hearts go out to the family members of the victims and all who are impacted by this horrific event.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing how close this was. Of course we are so sorry for those affected and thankful that you are safe. There's way too much excitement there for my liking. Thanks for keeping us up to date on everything. We love you and pray for the safety of you and all our family and friends daily.

February 13, 2009 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger HBC said...

So glad you guys are safe and sound! What a tragedy. It just goes to show you..anything can happen. Thanks for your post.

February 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I thought of you guys as soon as I heard about this so thanks for the update so we know everything is okay with you guys. Such a tragedy!

February 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I heard about it around ten last night and I immediately thought of you. I'm glad you're all okay. So scary.

(btw, my word verification for this is "psycho". weird.)

February 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Oh my gosh! I didn't hear that, wow that makes my heart just sink... That is just too bad that had to happy. I am very glad that your friend and her family is fine and that you guys were safe and sound as well.

February 13, 2009 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I thought of you when I heard it was in Buffalo. What a tragedy. I'm so glad y'all are safe.

February 14, 2009 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow. That is absolutely devastating. How horrible. So glad you are safe.

February 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM  
Blogger Jord said...

That is crazy that it happened so close to you. I was watching it feeling so bad for the people and I'm glad your friend was safe.

February 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home