Hellleewww..chocking hazard!
So..yeah I admit I made a mistake last night. But it WAS an honest mistake.
So we were having burritos and chips (cheeps..but no, not the cheeps for the orphans)and salad and yes it was delicious. So, H keeps reaching out for what we are eating..now mind you this is after she devoured a WHOLE banana. So I handed her some broken off pieces of tortilla..but that didn't fly..oh no, she wanted the cheeps. So I gave her one. Now before you get mad..know this, while we were in Utah she ate them a few times and did very well, so I thought she would be fine. Also, I was sitting right next to her.
Well...this time it didn't go so well. She took one bite and started to choke.
It was bad!! R and I both jumped up to help. When we could see she wasn't going to get it out herself he started doing the back hitting thin and trying to calm her down (she was pretty MAD that she was choking..which was a good thing because she was still able to cry a little and cough and BREATHE). It went on for a few minutes and both of us started panicking! But she kept breathing..even though it was hard. Finally, she got it out and just cried and cried..much to our relief.
So..lesson learned! No more chips until she has a few more teeth. Why does it always take the 'stupid' moments as a parent to learn something?
So we were having burritos and chips (cheeps..but no, not the cheeps for the orphans)and salad and yes it was delicious. So, H keeps reaching out for what we are eating..now mind you this is after she devoured a WHOLE banana. So I handed her some broken off pieces of tortilla..but that didn't fly..oh no, she wanted the cheeps. So I gave her one. Now before you get mad..know this, while we were in Utah she ate them a few times and did very well, so I thought she would be fine. Also, I was sitting right next to her.
Well...this time it didn't go so well. She took one bite and started to choke.
It was bad!! R and I both jumped up to help. When we could see she wasn't going to get it out herself he started doing the back hitting thin and trying to calm her down (she was pretty MAD that she was choking..which was a good thing because she was still able to cry a little and cough and BREATHE). It went on for a few minutes and both of us started panicking! But she kept breathing..even though it was hard. Finally, she got it out and just cried and cried..much to our relief.
So..lesson learned! No more chips until she has a few more teeth. Why does it always take the 'stupid' moments as a parent to learn something?


11 Comments:
Oh gosh I'm so glad she's okay. I was an idiot and tried to give Gracie part of a tortilla when she was 6 months old. Yes TOTAL idiot here. And when she was 9 months old we had to call 911 because she was choking on a hair clip. It happens to the best of us.
That's so scary! I'm glad she's okay. Kaylie has a mouthful of teeth, but I still worry. She loves popcorn, so we can't eat it around her or she goes crazy!
Allie had a wheat thins moment... it was so scary! Glad H was ok, at least Adam knows CPR and all that stuff!
What a scare! I dread those moments, because I know they happen to the best of us. Glad everything's okay.
How scary! I am glad everything is ok.
So scary. Carter did something like that too once--you feel so helpless.
Oh my gosh, so scary. I hate that. I have had a few little scary incidents myself and It just freaks me out. I am so glad so is ok.
Will we all do it and yes it is the scarest thing ever, but we all learn the same way. Sorry about it, I hate it when kids get sick or you know choke on something. It's the worst. Glad you made it home safe and sound. Love you guys. Thanks for hanging out over the holidays.
You're not stupid! Good grief, you said yourself she did good with them while you were in Utah. Those babies do amazing things with their gums and if she's getting pretty good at eating the solid stuff...I mean, I wouldn't give her a throat sized hot dog piece--they always seem to choke kids in the movies--but a chip? I choke on chips sometimes! So, I don't think you should blame yourself. Us moms do like to be careful though :)
noah choked on an apple once while my dad was watching him and my dad said it was the scariest thing EVER. especially since i have a cousin who lost their little girl because she choked on an apple in sacrament meeting. yikes.
SCARY! I am glad she is okay. Anna choked on an apple a while back and I had to give her the heimlech (sp?) and I was so freaked. When it came out she started to cry. Oh no. Not because she just about choked to death, but because I had taken the rest of the apple slices away from her!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home