Monday, February 9, 2009

Rocky Raccoon


I remember when you were brand new..we used to go and visit you. You were one of three.

We brought you a purple hippopotamus to sleep with so you could get used to our smell. You were so small, you fit in my hands perfectly...like a little ball.
You were supposed to be a Father's Day gift for R but even then you always snuggled into me. That's how I knew you were supposed to be mine.
When we started bringing you home for a few hours to get used to our house you loved to run around in the grass..it must have seemed like a jungle to you! P and M loved to chase you, but you would always run to me, your 'mommy'








We were so excited when we got to bring you home for good! We prepared everything..a bed, water and food bowls a leash and collar with your name on it and lots and lots of love!
We thought and thought about the perfect name for you..and finally came up with Rocky Raccoon after the Beatles song R used to sing to the kids to put them to sleep. We wanted you to be special to them so we went with that name.
You had your first bath in one of my kitchen bowls. We bathed you on the back porch while the kids played.

You didn't like the bath, but you sure strutted your stuff after ward!
We had a special hug that you always gave me..you would bend around my neck and snuggle into me..I loved that!
You were so sweet and gentle! We couldn't have asked for a better temperament.


I remember when you got hurt...and couldn't see anymore. I remember it like it was yesterday..every detail..what I could have done differently. I cried for ever after that.

But you were so strong. You amazed us at your perseverance..you didn't let objects get in the way of living. It took a while before you could finally jump back on the couch and right into my lap, but you kept at it.
I remember hearing the bell on your collar every night when you would try to climb the stairs to sleep with us. You would make it so far and then fall down the stairs..but every time you got right back up until you made it all the way up and down..pretty amazing for a blind dog!
You had to snuggle next to me when it was bed time and you stretched out so R couldn't be near.
I remember taking you on walks after the accident and amazingly..you would always walk right down the middle of the sidewalk.
You never barked or snapped or bit no matter what the kids did to you.




M loved to get into the cereal and eat it with you. He would take some then feed you some..you loved it too!
We took you on camp outs, to the cabin (where you could tell there was a bear outside and didn't move past the door so I couldn't go out either)trips..anywhere we went you did to!
It was the hardest thing for us to move away and give you away. We thought of you everyday and missed you like crazy. When R would be gone late at night I always wished you were here with me, snuggled on my lap, keeping watch until he got home..like you always did. I missed the grooming appointments and how 'good lookin' you felt afterward and how you'd strut your stuff up and down the sidewalk.
I loved when we would go back to Utah for visits..you would jump right into my arms and give me that special hug..like nothing had changed!
You were such an amazing dog Rocky and you will be missed!

Rocky Raccoon
April 2006-February 8, 2009

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks you for your wonderful post. He was a much loved dog. Thank you for training him and loving him so well that we were able to find so much joy in having him in our home. We are so heartbroken and take comfort in knowing that you share our grief. We will all miss him SSOOOO much!

February 9, 2009 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

:( What a sweet doggie. So sorry for your loss.

February 9, 2009 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger The Olsen Family said...

He was such a sweet dog. We remember going with you to see him before you brought him home. He was so small and soft. Sarah will miss playing with and chasing after him. She loved Rocky as well as the rest of us.

February 9, 2009 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

ohhh, that's so sad! how did he die?

February 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger The Davies Family said...

He was hit by a car yesterday.

February 9, 2009 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger Deven and Keri said...

I'm so sorry! I love the tribute to Rocky Racoon, he was loved much, I can tell.

February 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM  
Blogger Breanne said...

Sorry about your dog. It's hard when they're gone. Mine died shortly after I got married. I think he missed having a house full of people.

February 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

He was a really cute dog, I remember how good he was with the kids- I think my boys wanted to sneek him home with us a couple of times. I loved the pictures. That is how I remember your kids! Ahhh, the good old Blackhawk days...

February 10, 2009 at 12:05 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

That was such a sweet post. Dogs are great--sounds like yours was Really great.

February 10, 2009 at 1:32 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

That just plain stinks! I am sorry for your loss. What a nice tribute to him and what a swet little guy. 'R' looks so young in that fact picture!

February 10, 2009 at 2:07 AM  
Blogger The Favorite said...

Such sweet pictures and memories. I'm so sorry and like Mason told me "he's in heaven." You'll always have the good times to think back on.

February 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger M- your favorite said...

That is so sad! I loved Rocky also. He was so cute! LOVED HIM! Sorry to hear he died, they are such cute dogs!

February 10, 2009 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Okay, so I cannot believe I called Rocky a cat! I TOTALLY remember him! That first time we came to your house for dinner, and R kept showing us how, even though he was blind, he'd run right to him! I'm so sorry! He was adorable, and I'm glad that you have such great memories!

February 10, 2009 at 11:24 PM  
Blogger Lotte said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Rocky - he was such a sweetie.

February 11, 2009 at 1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home