Banned from the White House and other fun Thanksgiving tales
So R's parents came out for Thanskgiving. We had a great time. We took them to see the sights around D.C. which included a White House tour. Now, since Sept 11th, security has increased a lot at ol 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. But, with a new President..there is also more strict requirements. And its harder to get a tour (my advice, contact your Senator 60 days in advance and request the tickets..at that point you tell them the days you will be here and THEY choose which day and time you get your tour...how bout that 'open door policy huh?' yeah, doesn't exist!
Anyway....

So we took our tour, which was pretty cool!
Here we are walking to check in. We weren't allowed to bring cameras, purses, strolers, etc. We could have our phones, including a camera on the phone, but don't let the Secret Service catch you taking pictures..big NO NO!
So we followed the rules, hey, we don't want to cause any problems.
We stayed in line the whole tour, we asked questions of the agents (who were pretty friendly and knowledgeable) and we made our way out. There was this one agent, totally hardcore! He was standing at the door as you exited. He watched everyone pretty closely.
So, you can take a few pictures once you are down the drive a little more. So we snapped a few. here they are.



Then we started walking out. Well, little M is so curious, he often has reminded me of Curious George. So he finds a harmless little crayon just lying on the ground. So he picks it up. And me, being mom says, 'hey, don't pick things up off the ground.' so then he launches it...much like a grenade...over the fenced off portion of the grass on the White House lawn. Yes, he threw it!
Oh great! Who knows what kind of sensory equipment they have around there. So we start the whole lecture of not throwing things over and how bad it was. Well, just when you thought things were ok, my father in law steps OVER the fence and picks it up.
Awesome!
So I move on leading the kids out and looking for a garbage to throw the crayon into and still lecturing M just in case the security is now on high alert over an object being thrown onto the White House lawn. So I keep walking, and don't pay attention to what's going on behind me.
And just what is going on behind me you ask?
Well....
three high powered rifles now have us in their scope and are watching us very closely as we leave. Not only that, but then I notice a man in a trench coat following us out.
Shortly after this, we are waiting for R to come back from teh car with the stroller. So we are waiting in Lafayette Park (the park directly behind the White House) and yes, we are still being watched. And now a security detail is driving by slowly. I can only imagine what was going on behind the scenes....all our I.d's being pulled up, running our info to make sure we are clean, checking everything they can to make sure we aren't a threat!
I was DYING!!!!
Great! we've been black listed from the White House! Now, who knows if we really are..but all I can say is, its gonna be a real long, long, long time before WE request White House tour tickets.
So for any of your friends who want to come out...please feel free to make a request to tour the White House..its really cool. But don't expect us to join you...
All because of the Crayon Incident of 2009.
On a lighter note...we did have a good laugh about it afterward. We also enjoyed touring the Capital and D.C. and Gettysburg. We had a great Thanksgiving diner..hmmm gotta find those pictures still. I think they are on the laptop. I'll post them soon.
Anyway....
So we took our tour, which was pretty cool!
Here we are walking to check in. We weren't allowed to bring cameras, purses, strolers, etc. We could have our phones, including a camera on the phone, but don't let the Secret Service catch you taking pictures..big NO NO!
So we followed the rules, hey, we don't want to cause any problems.
We stayed in line the whole tour, we asked questions of the agents (who were pretty friendly and knowledgeable) and we made our way out. There was this one agent, totally hardcore! He was standing at the door as you exited. He watched everyone pretty closely.
So, you can take a few pictures once you are down the drive a little more. So we snapped a few. here they are.
Then we started walking out. Well, little M is so curious, he often has reminded me of Curious George. So he finds a harmless little crayon just lying on the ground. So he picks it up. And me, being mom says, 'hey, don't pick things up off the ground.' so then he launches it...much like a grenade...over the fenced off portion of the grass on the White House lawn. Yes, he threw it!
Oh great! Who knows what kind of sensory equipment they have around there. So we start the whole lecture of not throwing things over and how bad it was. Well, just when you thought things were ok, my father in law steps OVER the fence and picks it up.
Awesome!
So I move on leading the kids out and looking for a garbage to throw the crayon into and still lecturing M just in case the security is now on high alert over an object being thrown onto the White House lawn. So I keep walking, and don't pay attention to what's going on behind me.
And just what is going on behind me you ask?
Well....
three high powered rifles now have us in their scope and are watching us very closely as we leave. Not only that, but then I notice a man in a trench coat following us out.
Shortly after this, we are waiting for R to come back from teh car with the stroller. So we are waiting in Lafayette Park (the park directly behind the White House) and yes, we are still being watched. And now a security detail is driving by slowly. I can only imagine what was going on behind the scenes....all our I.d's being pulled up, running our info to make sure we are clean, checking everything they can to make sure we aren't a threat!
I was DYING!!!!
Great! we've been black listed from the White House! Now, who knows if we really are..but all I can say is, its gonna be a real long, long, long time before WE request White House tour tickets.
So for any of your friends who want to come out...please feel free to make a request to tour the White House..its really cool. But don't expect us to join you...
All because of the Crayon Incident of 2009.
On a lighter note...we did have a good laugh about it afterward. We also enjoyed touring the Capital and D.C. and Gettysburg. We had a great Thanksgiving diner..hmmm gotta find those pictures still. I think they are on the laptop. I'll post them soon.


10 Comments:
You make me laugh. Loved the story - I could totally reenact it in my head. Good times. good times. Still wondering, if the security is so strict, how that couple snuck in for dinner though ;)
That is soo funny! What I wouldn't give to have been there--such adventure. Good luck though, they'll probably be watching all the purchases you'll be making for the next two years...and pulling up your accounts from the last two years :) Good luck with that. I hope you didn't buy anything that could be misconstrued as something that could make a bomb.
Those Davies are such rebels! Glad I'm not one of them.
Oh I so needed a laugh this morning! Glad you saved the story until today to share! So curious minds want to know...What color was the offending crayon?
Yeah, about that incident with that couple. That happened the following week. Our little 'security breach' must have distracted them.
And the offending crayon in question was blue, navy blue. And blast Kim, you are probably right, our purchases are probably being monitored. In fact this whole blog post could be monitored. :)
That is out of control! I love it!
that's a great story!
That is hilarious! I love that you were followed back to your car and that you gave the white house inhabitants a scare.
WOW Lex I was just catching up on your blog. You have some beautiful pictures of your family. Your kids are growing up so fast. I love that you are so busy doing so many fun and incredible things. You are also very fashionable. You are a inspiration to me to be involved in so many wonderful causes. You are amazing. It was fun to read your fun posts especially this one about the White House so crazy! You are a fantastic writer.
LOL again in April. So funny!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home