Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hill Cumorah Pageant 08-Media Day

As part of the Public Affairs Committee for the Hill Cumorah Pageant I was asked to be on 'the hill' (as its called) today for media day.
It was an all day event! I took different media outlets around the seven stages all the way up the hill as well as to the costume shop, beards and wigs, makeup etc. Here are some of the pictures

One of the committee member's daughter. She's a Lamanite woman who ends up getting 'run through' by a Nephite in the last battle scene with Mormon and Moroni.

Wig and Beard shop...yep those are all wigs in the background. Each 'head' has a name for who belongs to that wig. All four walls have shelves full of 'heads' to the ceiling..I mean come on they have to outfit over 700 people!

All of the beards are handmade right there in the shop..and they're made with human hair..and of course EVERYONE is 100% volunteer..all the talented seamstresses, wig people and beard makers etc..all church callings! pretty amazing!

Shot from the top of the hill on the top of the stage..the man in white below is known as the 'descending Christ' they lower ...nahh I wont tell you, It will just spoil it..but its pretty cool how they do it...oh and that's about 8,000 chairs below.


Sunset scene..dress rehearsal. I think its one of the first couple of scenes.
It was pretty amazing to be there on set and see how this comes together! The cast arrived last Friday..got their roles by Saturday and began blocking, getting fitted for costumes and wigs etc...and less than ONE week later..ready to perform. Even though the audio is pre-recorded, they still learn their lines and say them during their parts. Pretty amazing! And not ONE of them is a professional..they are all volunteers as well..just common every day folk like you and I.
Soooo...interested in being in pagent next year? Here is how (and yes entire families come and do it)...applications begin August 15th of THIS year (www.hillcumorah.org). Apply (keep in mind you will be required to pay your own way here..pay your own accomodations and take time from work, life etc for two weeks.) the perks? its AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE! People come from all over the world..there is a family of SEVEN that saved for a year and a half to come from NEW ZEALAND. The dad isn't even a member! They will select you (and your family of course) and let you know by January.


Over 1500 people applied this year and they filled 715 places. There is also a great opportunity for pre-missionaries. Those boys about to serve missions can apply and they come out for a month, camp in Zion's camp and live a missionary life. They are the work crew and they do all kinds of amazing feats for the show. Usually they get their mission call while they are at Pageant!
Its one of those experiences you will never forget! I have been very excited to be part of just the Public Affairs Committee.

12 Comments:

Blogger sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Alexis this is totally amazing that you had this opportunity! I can't wait to see it! What day are you guys watching it?

July 10, 2008 at 11:24 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

WOW! The pageant sounds amazing and so does your experience. You are creating so many awesome memories there - I am envious. I love how everything in our church is volunteered...everything. It is amazing how many people are willing to serve the Lord - I am so grateful. Thanks for sharing your all access pass to the play with us :)

July 10, 2008 at 11:56 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

My cousin Debbie and her family did this a few years ago, they loved it. The first time we saw the pageant I was in shock, that thing is AMAZING. the next year it got rained out--it's only happened twice in the history of the pageant--because the cables were all buried in lakes of water. Sadly, everyone in our ward had put out their bedding to save seats (they were all camping) so everybody had a very wet bed that night. Luckily my family doesn't camp and we were in a hotel. This makes me want to go again!! What a cool experience for you!

July 11, 2008 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger The Favorite said...

SO happy to read that all went well and the pictures look so great! That's amazing that so many people apply. We can't wait to see it!

July 11, 2008 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Breanne said...

That is so cool!! My dad served his mission there, and participated in the pageant! I would love to go someday and see it!

July 12, 2008 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is really cool Alexis!
I bet you get an even greater appreciation for the pageant from that perspective!
What a great opportunity!

July 13, 2008 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger kristenita said...

wow. that is soooooo cool that you get to do that! thanks for the behind-the-scenes photos of costuming, that was so interesting.

I totally want to be in pageant next year! I keep forgetting about the apps since they are basically due right after it ends... crazy!

July 13, 2008 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What an incredible experience, Lex! Wow! Great pictures. I am seriously in awe that all of that is volunteer. I guess I didn't realize. Very amazing.

July 13, 2008 at 11:27 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

What a cool job you have! I want to go to the pageant one year for sure - How amazing! Isn't the Church great?!

July 14, 2008 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger gantrieb said...

I love the perspective you gave us of the pageant and all the behind the scenes. What a once in a lifetime opportunity, except of course if you have the same calling next year.... then it will be a twice in a lifetime experience :). Thanks for letting us take a look at all the stuff behind the scenes.

July 14, 2008 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Kelsey said...

I have always wanted to attend the Hill Cumorah Pageant, that is so fun that you get to be involved with it! We went to the Manti pageant a few years ago but they stopped in the middle because there was a bunch of lightning and lots of rain. Yikes! I love to read your comments on my blog, thanks for visiting!

July 14, 2008 at 11:38 PM  
Blogger Jord said...

How neat that you have a back stage pass. Thanks for sharing photos and a description of the pageant- it sounds wonderful! Now I've just got to make it there to see it some day.

July 18, 2008 at 1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home