Independance Day
We started off the festivities by going to Olcott New York on Thursday night. There is a mini amusement park near the beach where rides cost twenty-five cents each. We rode some rides, ate Coney Island hot dogs (not so good) and then drove back down to Lockport for Kung Fu Panda at the Drive In.
On the Fourth, we loaded up the car and headed to Finger Lakes National Forrest for some camping. The forrest is between Seneca Lake and Cayuga Lake. We found the greatest camp site (primitive camping) and got everything set up. We went with some friends from our ward. The kids had a great time fishing (we were right next to a pond) running and of course getting dirty!
A look at the area..beautiful! Its wine country so there were vineyards everywhere
That night we made dutch oven diners, and drove into Watkins Glen to watch the fire works! What a sight! Watkins Glen is surrounded by rolling hills so we were able to watch five different shows of Fireworks. Not to mention all the firefly's! That was the most fun to watch. When we got back to our camp site we sat outside and watched them dance around the outskirts of our fire light. Then when we went to bed and the fire was out we were surrounded! It was awesome!
'H' did so well. It was her very first camping trip! In fact all the kids did! The next day we cleaned up and as we cleaned we met a girl from a campsite close to us. She asked if she could help us with cleaning (H wasn't liking sitting in her playpen anymore) so she held 'H' and we talked. It was a great experience..she talked about just loosing a baby two months ago and how she was searching for something but she didn't know what it was. We had a great opportunity to teach her a little about the gospel. We gave her a Hill Cumorah Pagent card and 'P' and 'R' gave her a Book of Mormon. She was very gracious and we gave her our number in case she had questions or wanted us to go with her to the pagent. Since then we've been praying for her and hopefully she'll find her way in life!
After that we headed back to Watkins Glen to swim in Seneca Lake! They have this section of beach where it doesn't get any deeper than waist high on the kiddies. So we went swimming and had a picnic. The beach was great! the water was perfect and there was also a playground and bathrooms.
'P' and 'M' got to use their new towels...here they are warming up under the sun..'P' got out of the water and fell asleep on hers.
I thought this was a funny picture..those floaties sure accentuate 'R's ears..


12 Comments:
sounds like lots of fun!! I'm glad you guys got to go camping. and did you find "browns berry patch" & try the icecream up in olcott? it is delicious.
sweet job on the missionary work, that part of your story gave me the chills. :)
You constantly amaze me. Not only are you the best mom, but you also share the gospel without fear. I am so impressed with you. It looks like a blast (no firework pun intended).
Seriously - you are an amazing woman. Way to go on the missionary experience - you are such and example to your kiddos and to ME! Sounds like you guys had a fun 4th...even though the drunkies ruined the chances of you guys purchasin any fireworkds ;)
I love the pic of 'P' sleeping with her floaties still on...haha.
So how much longer will you guys be in New York? Ross and I need to know how much longer we have to plan a trip out there. Hopefully our money woes a.k.a. the Accord will end and we can use our sky miles to come and visit ya'll.
What an great missionary moment. You are so awesome. Your kids look so cute decked out in 4th of July outfits...and your camping trip sounds like so much fun. I wish it wasn't so hot so we could go camping around here. You are making the best family memories for your kids...I wish we were close so your supermom skills could rub off on me. haha
Your kiddos look so cute in their fourth of July colors! It sounds like you had an awesome time camping! Wow, I can't believe your missionary experience. You were the right person in the right place at the right time. Your awesome! Hopefully they will come to pageant. We need to plan something before you guys leave!
WOW! Sounds like you guys had a great 4th of July! Your kids are getting so big! they are so cute! Can't wait to see you guys again!
I LOVE the one of the three kids - too cute!!
Wow. You guys sure know how to plan good times. That last picture of Ryan ... hahahaha. Too funny.
I am so impressed with your missionary skills - you make it sound so easy and second nature. I love that about you!
I'm SO glad you mentioned the drive-up movies!! We haven't done that yet this Summer ... and I can't believe I haven't thought of it!! Kung Fu Panda (drive - in style, of course -- that way I can read through it ;)) - here we come!
What a beautiful area.
Can't wait to see you guys! Should we plan a specific date? Do you guys know what you have going on yet? We can get together at my house - or Melyndas ... or meet at a restaurant or a park. Or all of the above!!! I'll take all I can get.
Sounds SO fun. I adore the picture of your kids in their 4th of July outfits! h's little bow, P's tongue sticking out, and M's face-it's priceless!
Your kids are SOOO cute and those 4th of July outfits looked great. Great missionary work you guys! Olcott beach looked fun I can't wait to go.
What a fun weekend! Keep up the good missionary work - even if you don't hear from her, you did awesome! And you never know what will happen....! Miss you guys!
I LOVE all of those funn pictures! Camping sounds like a great 4th of July activity. Way to be a missionary too!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home