Sunday, June 8, 2008

Palmyra, Cooperstown and the curious incident of the DEER in the night!

In the Smith's Log Cabin..in the upper room where the Angel Moroni appeared to Joseph

Its been a busy few days..where to begin..Friday we drove to Palmyra to show my dad and brother the church sites. The humidity lingered and seemed much worse in Palmyra. We toured the two Smith cabins, the Sacred Grove, The E.B. Grandin building (aka The Book of Mormon publication site) The Hill Cumorah and the Alvin Smith grave..lots and lots in just one afternoon.
Dad and Jordie in the Sacred Grove

'M' was our tour guide..he kept the map and led us through, now and then he'd turn around and say, "this is where we are mommy."

We had planned to spend the night half way between Palmyra and Cooperstown, but 'R' had to stay at school all day Friday. So we changed our plans and got up early Saturday morning and drove 4 hours to Cooperstown N.Y..the birthplace of Baseball!
Wow! Cooperstown is a beautiful little town, its situated along Ostego lake. The drive was beautiful as well, we passed through Syracuse (or brushed along the top of it) and Utica then went South. It was the furthest East we've gone in this great state!
Besides the National Baseball Hall of Fame there is an Art Museum and a Farmer's Museum..something to check out the next time we venture that way.
We spent the majority of the day in the Hall of Fame and we enjoyed every minute of it, especially grandpa and Jordie!

At Doubleday Field..the birthplace of baseball

The plaque to prove it was THE birthplace of baseball..where this field stands once stood a cow pasture and that is where Abner Doubleday 'invented' baseball (or so they say)back in 1839.

In front of the National Baseball Hall of Fame

THE hall of Fame


Future Hall of Famers??

'H' after Jordie got to her hair

'H' sure loved her grandpa!

Now..for the Curious incident of the DEER in the night!
We had been very blessed the entire trip! No accidents or injuries from any of us..until..(dundundun)the two deer decided to JUMP in front of our car just outside of Palmyra! Yes, you heard me right, TWO deer! We had just passed the Palmyra exit on the Thruway. There was a car to our left. Suddenly two deer bound out of the median! The car next to us slams on its breaks..all I hear is 'whoah, whoah, whoah" and then BAM! as the deer makes contact with our car and then 'we're ok, we're ok and then the entire windshield shatters!! It happened so fast! My dad was driving and he called out to us to make sure we were ok! Then he pulled off. 'R' was covered in glass and glass dust. He had it everywhere! Glass hit my face as well and we found it as far back as the back seat where the kids were!
As we sat there stunned we realized there was another car involved. So I dialed 911 while my brother and husband ran back to check on them, it was a single guy and he was ok. I was pretty shaken up and had to take some deep breaths as I explained what happend to the 911 operator. About 3 hours later a state trooper FINALLY showed up! Yes! THREE hours! I guess they had to chase down some drunk driver going the wrong way! Luckily, I was able to call a friend from the Hill Cumorah Public Relations Committee and he just happened to be almost to the exit. He had his daughter and neice with him and they got there just before the Manchester Fire Department showed up (I guess after calling three times SOMEONE decided they needed to send SOMEONE out to us!)I was worried the whole time we were going to get hit by a drunk driver or by a drowsy driver.
Me and the kids went to a hotel while Dad, Jordie and 'R' waited for the trooper..I mean the tow truck driver was there waay before he was! When we got to our hotel room at 2:30 we all knelt down and said a prayer of thanks We sure were protected! The firefighters kept saying how lucky we were and how much worse it could have been. I credit my dad to saving all of our lives. He teaches drivers Ed and knew to NOT slame on his brakes, and to NOT swerve to miss it. If he would have slammed on his breaks, the front end of the car would have dropped down and the deer probably would have come through the windshield..if you swerve you often overcorrect and end up rolling the car! These are some of the pictures we took..notice the deer fur on some of them and the hole in the glass where the deer almost broke through..its right at 'R's' head!

Inside the van..notice the hole


Hoof marks across the hood

Check out that damage!

Most of the glass ended up on 'R', but here is quite a bit

Sick..deer hair!

Daylight shots..more damage when you see it in the daytime!

15 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Wow, there is so much to do in New York, and it seems like you guys are ALWAYS doing it! So fun. That deer incident sure is scary though, it's crazy how much damage those guys can do. I'm glad you're all safe!

We had our car broken into a few years ago (like 2 or 3!) and they smashed the driver's side window. I just found more glass in there last week. It gets everywhere. You'll never be rid of it!

June 8, 2008 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger gantrieb said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I'm glad you guys are OK! It looks like you guys have been having so much fun, it's always so nice to have family in town. What a great time to explore! I'm glad you guys survived and that no one was seriously injured...are you sure it wasn't a wook-a-lar...:)

June 8, 2008 at 8:47 PM  
Blogger Breanne said...

I am so glad you are ok! That would have freaked me out! Good that your dad was there to know what to do :)

June 8, 2008 at 10:43 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

WOW! That is quite the incident. I am glad everyone is okay...and that you took the time to take pics of it all to share ;) You are quite the story teller. But seriously accidents are usually a lot worse because the driver didn't do the right thing, which is hard to do under pressure - Kudos to your awesome papa.

Looks like other than the accident you have been super busy doing all sorts of fun things again. I really hope we come out to visit you guys while you are still there!

June 8, 2008 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

HOly Cow!! I am so glad you guys are all ok--that is crazy!! Glad you're dad was driving--I know I would have swerved and slammed on the brakes--thanks for the tip.

June 8, 2008 at 11:18 PM  
Blogger Jord said...

Oh I'm so sorry for your Alexis and glad that nothing worse happened. Crazy deer! Thank goodness your dad was driving and here's a shout out for a drivers ed teacher who knows his stuff.

June 8, 2008 at 11:53 PM  
Blogger sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Sheesh, how scary!!!!! I am just glad to hear that you guys are all ok!

June 9, 2008 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger Beck Family said...

So glad you were protected. What a scary thing. That's awesome that you had someone who was able to help you out. Its ovbious the Lord was watching over you the whole time. Glad that your dad and brother got to spend time with you too. So fun. I got to see your mom yesterday at church. Too bad we couldn't all be in Utah at the same time. Jack was asking yesterday when Parker would be here. Love ya lots and good luck with the van.

June 9, 2008 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Strupp Family said...

Woah! That's crazy--I think I definitely would have slammed on the brakes or swerved to miss...sooo, I'm glad it was your dad and not me :) I'll have to look back and see if I can find this email I got from someone about how bad deer accidents can be. It's a little gory. I'll email it to you if I find it. Anyway, glad you're all OK! Oh hey, I saw the EZ Pass. Such good memories of all the toll roads...

June 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Horrible! I'm glad you guys were ok. I would have FREAKED out! And the deer hair...so gross.

Weren't you in heaven with the baseball stuff? I would have loved that!

June 9, 2008 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

That is crazy! I'm so glad everyone is okay - I definately would have hit the brake, and swerved, so double whammy! We seriously need to come back east! There is so much to do!

June 9, 2008 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger Johnson said...

Oh my gosh..I can't get over those pictures. I am so glad that you guys were all okay. you are right..it could have been much worse and is probably a blessing that your dad was driving! I am glad that your cute little family is okay. Oh, and I can't get over how big Jordan is..that is too crazy!

By the way, we thought about moving out to Syracuse...I had almost talked myself into turning our names in for that assignment!!!

June 10, 2008 at 1:23 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Okay so I remember that your family is totally into baseball, so what a FUN experience for you guys!! Despite the deer incident, which is CRAZY..and I can't believe it took them so long to get someone out to you. I'm so glad no one was hurt bad. That sure is a day to remember.

June 10, 2008 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

WOW what an experience. I would have totally slammed on my breaks so I guess I learned something from your Dad. I am so happy that everyone is ok. Good for you to pray for thanks that it wasn't worse. I need to remember to do that. You are such a wonderful example Alexis and a WONDERFUL mom to show that example to your kids! Oh and PS I LOVE Parker's cute outfits in the pictures. You look great too!

June 11, 2008 at 12:17 AM  
Blogger Jami said...

So glad you are all okay we love you.

June 12, 2008 at 3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home