Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bunny Rescue

A few days ago our neighbor pulled us over to her backyard to show us a nest of baby bunnies.
There were eight little sets of ears and eyes staring back at us!


She was moving out so we decided we'd keep watch on them. We never saw the mom around so we were worried she had abandoned them...turns out, based on this website www.rabbitweb.net
the mom stays away to keep the babies hidden. So she was always around we just couldn't see her. The website said about 95% of wild rabbits die before they turn six months old..sad.
So we've been keeping an eye on them and this is what we saw outside our door last night..
isn't it cute! It must have been one of the first times she took them out. We only counted five little guys so already three are gone. Well we watched them for a while..hopping around our porch then we put the kids to bed.

Later, 'R' went out to see where they all disappeared to and found them stuck down in our neighbors window well. The mother was hanging out on the porch (you could tell she was worried, but didn't know what to do) so 'R' went to the rescue!


He found a glove and climbed down and pulled one baby bunny out at a time (while the mother waited on the porch a few doors down) once all five bunnies were out they hopped over to their nest to wait for their mommy.

We don't know if the mother ever came back..we'd like to think she did..but this morning all the babies were gone. Hopefully she took them somewhere else to live and they didn't get stuck down another window well or meet some other fate. They were sure cute while we had them though.
Call me weird but..I always see my kids in baby animals..weird I know..but I couldn't help thinking what it would have been like for me to have my kids stuck down a well and no way of getting them out..I would sure hope a bigger creature or whatever would have compassion and save my babies...its something about the eyes, I just look at their cute little eyes and see my cute little babies!

6 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

What an adventure! I am glad you got it all documented...and what did we do before the internet where we can look all that info up?! I hope they are okay too. They sure are tiny and cute!

June 19, 2008 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger The Favorite said...

SO CUTE!!! Can we have one? j/k We do want to come see them sometime though- and go swimming too!

June 20, 2008 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That is amazing! How cool. Way-ta-go Super Ry!

June 20, 2008 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger M- your favorite said...

I love bunnies- they are so cute! I hope they come back. Way to go Ryan and save the cute bunnies! When are you guys coming down?

June 25, 2008 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

That is so neat! I've always wanted a bunny - they are so cute!

June 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Peacocks said...

Oh my they are so stinking cute, but I would have a hard time with watching all of that go down, I guess I just have to remember that mother nature is doing her job. Emari loves to look at your blog with me and she asks me when can she see Parker again? I think she misses her!

June 30, 2008 at 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home