Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Weird Sore

Last Friday 'H' woke up with a tiny sore in the corner of her mouth. I thought it was just some dry skin so I didn't worry about it too much. By the weekend it had grown to the size of a pencil eraser. By Monday of this week it was the size of a dime and then a nickel by the evening. I have had many a strange look because of it. People have given their opinions freely as to what they think it is..they range from ring worm, a chemical burn, herpes (my personal favorite), infintigo etc. etc.
So I took her to the doctor on Monday and the doctor didn't know what it was, she cultured it and sent me home with an antibiotic.
Then I get a phone call yesterday telling me the culture is in..and no its not herpes (duh)and no its not MRSA..wait what? What is MRSA? The nurse then tells me, 'oh don't worry, its likely not that and don't go and look it up because there is no sense in worrying when its probably not it." OOOKKAAY, not very comforting, but I took her advice and didn't look it up. So what is it then?
Apparently its a staph infection...we all have staph on our skin and occasionally we get a scratch or a cut and the staph gets in and infects it. So apparently the antibiotic is supposed to help.
Here it is Thursday and granted the 'sore' has stopped growing, but its hasn't made any other progress, other then its not AS red. The pictures don't really do it justice..it really is very 'eye catchinig' in not a good way.

8 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I was gonna say herpes...seriously. I have a niece that gets sores like that around her mouth and eyes when she has an outbreak. it's from cold sores--not the bad (genital) kind of herpes, a different strand. but it's yucky. i hope she gets better quick!

June 12, 2008 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Okay so I know a girl and her kids get terrible staph infections from everything (twice they've had to be hospitalized). According to her, the doctor said that some people are just more prone to getting the infections than others. Like you said, we all have it on our skin, but some people it just flares up more. I'm glad it's getting better!

June 12, 2008 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger kristenita said...

phew, I'm glad it wasn't MRSA... you are good not to look it up when the nurse told you not to, I would have been online the second she mentioned MRSA! I hope little babyH gets all better soon & I'm glad you don't have to worry now that you know what it is.

your dentist will be interested to know, too, don't forget to update him :)

(p.s. & yes to what emily said. herpes simplex I (aka cold sores) can happen to the best of us, even the babies - so NO KISSES or sharing of cups/spoons/anything if anyone has a cold sore = highly contagious. and they can make little kids (or adults) really sick upon the first exposure.)

June 12, 2008 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger The Davies Family said...

Oh I know..My sister used to get Herpes (simplex I) when she was younger..but never as a baby...I said duh because it never took the shape (blister like or pussy) like a cold sore does, it was more like a rash. Its funny because I told them that, but I guess they still have to run the tests.

June 12, 2008 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

that does not look fun! Hopefully it's not bothering her at least. And don't you love everyone's free advice?1?

June 12, 2008 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I was hoping when you started the post that it wasn't MRSA. Do you remember me getting it twice last year...right when we were moving from Logan. It was the most craptastic thing that has ever happened to me. And when I would tell people what it was, they looked at me like I didn't bath or something....so I am glad you explained how EVERYONE has staph on their skin. Hope she continues to get better...she is so dang cute and looks just like her siblings.

P.S. I couldn't help but think of calling it a red discoloration (like the white discoloration episode on Seinfield) I can relate everything to that show.

June 13, 2008 at 12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch, good thing she is so dang cute it doesn't matter what is on that adorable face. It looks like you've all been up to some fun things lately and you're family was here to visit. How fun!! I love checking in on you guys every now and then. I'm not the best commener back, but I sure appreciate yours and am going to get better. Miss you Lex,
Tam

June 13, 2008 at 7:14 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Poor baby girl! It looks like it hurts. I'm sorry that you guys have had to go through that. I hope it clears up soon.

June 20, 2008 at 1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home