Saturday, May 10, 2008

Into Each Life...

On Wednesday, I flew back to New York after visiting family in Utah. I wish I could say it was under happy circumstances, but it wasn't. Our cousin passed away on May 1st. We both felt it was important for one of us to be there and since 'R' was in the middle of finals, I got to be the one to go. I packed for myself and our baby and left Friday afternoon. 'P' was so sad, she is so homesick for Utah and her grandparents and aunts and uncles. When I broke the news to her of cousin Ryan's death she cried, but then she cried harder when she found out I was going and she couldn't come.
The funeral was Saturday afternoon and it was hard to see such a young life gone so soon. I thought a lot about my own children and how unbearable it would be to loose one of them. There is a certain grace and strength that comes to you when you loose someone. Its a quality I admire in so many of my family members and friends who have suffered a personal loss. Its one of those traits you get after going through a refiners fire.
It was a bitter sweet time. Ryan died so young, but because he was healthy and strong they were able to donate his organs and his legacy now lives on. It lives on in a 66 year old man who recieved his heart and a kidney. In a 61 year old woman from Utah who recieved his liver. A 37 year old man from Utah who recieved a kidney and his pancreas and to someone in Arizona who recieved his lung. I'm sure their families are grateful for the gift of life they have been given.
And so, 'Into each life a little rain must fall..' stands out in my mind. But what I love about rain is, it doesn't last long and with it comes new life.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

thanks for this post. i really enjoyed your thoughts.

May 10, 2008 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I was wondering what had happened to you - I miss you posting. I wish you had taken a break for a different reason. I too enjoyed your thoughts - our prayers are with your family at this time.

May 10, 2008 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I'm so sorry for your family, but this was so well put. How did he die?

May 10, 2008 at 6:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I'm so sorry for your loss; I know what you mean about the extra strength that comes to those at a time like that. My cousin's son died at 2 1/2 and she was so strong. I was amazed at her faith. Thanks for your thoughts. Wish we could've seen you guys!

May 11, 2008 at 12:34 AM  
Blogger Jord said...

I'm so sorry about your cousin and hope that his family continues to feel of your support in this hard time. How nice that you could be there for a while.

May 12, 2008 at 12:05 AM  
Blogger Peacocks said...

Hey you don't need to apologize for not having the time to see everyone while you were here in Utah, the important thing is that you made the effort to be there for those who needed the support. Remember I just did the same thing last month. And though it's not easy to fly with a baby, it was so worth the effort to go and show my support.

May 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I saw that you came to Utah and it made me sad that I didn't see you and then I read your post and saw the reason you came out. I am so sorry to hear that. I cried while reading your post. I don't know what I would do if I ever lost one of my children. They mean the world to me! It took me so long to get them I never want to loose them! How did your cousin die? How old was he? You also inspired me to MAKE sure that everyone in my family knows how important it is to me to donate anything that I can when I pass away. Thanks for that post.

May 13, 2008 at 5:49 PM  
Blogger Jami said...

Thanks lex for coming out it really meant a lot to have family out there. This month has been such a hard month for us the ups and downs of him improving and then getting worse. The comforting thing for all of us is that we will see him again and I know he will watch over all of us. I wear his watch everyday to keep him close to my heart. I miss him so much, but at least we have awesome family. Love you guys.

May 14, 2008 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Alexis, I didn't feel like I got to spend enough time with you but I hope you know how much we appreciated you flying out for Ryan's funeral. Thank you for all your love and support through this whole ordeal. I appreciate all that you said in your post and that you listed all the people who benefitted from Ryan's organ donations. We found out that all of the transplants have done well except for the pancreas. We know who received the heart and kidney and he lives probably a mile from our house. The pain of losing a child is unbearable at times but it sure helps to feel the love and prayers of all our family and friends. Thanks again for making the journey home to be with us. We love you and Ryan and the kids.
Love, Your cousin, Susan

May 15, 2008 at 2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home