Friday, March 28, 2008

This is My Year!!

Alright..so I am putting this in writing so I can be held to it!
After missing last year's triathlon in Logan due to the fact that I found out I was pregnant.. I have decided to get serious and start training again. Only this time its for a 5K run..for now.
One of 'R''s friends in school ran for UB and is now a trainer for the team. 'R' had been talking to him about my running (I started up again in January) and he volunteered to set me up on a running plan so I can run races and accomplish some goals.
So here is my first goal..I will run the Susan G. Koman-Race for the Cure 5K. I picked this race because cancer runs rampant in my family (no pun intended)so now's a good a time as any to get involved in the fight against cancer..and accomplish a goal.
Now a 5K, you say, come on that's easy..why not make it a marathon. Well, I want to build myself up so that one day IF (and notice its a big fat if) I ever decide to run a marathon then I will have years of running behind me and it won't be so hard on my body to accomplish. He made an excellent point with running (you runners out there may already know this) running is a goal oriented sport..you have to have a goal in mind otherwise its not worth it.
So here goes..and if anyone wants to join me..feel free! It will be lots of fun and its not to late to start! Its Saturday June 14th in Buffalo..registration is at 7:00 a.m and the race is at 10:00! go to www.buffalorunners.com for more info and other races.

13 Comments:

Blogger sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Good for you! OK this is tempting me! I may have to join you!!

March 28, 2008 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Yeah for running and triathlons - they are addicting! I am hoping to do a few this summer before I get prego again and won't be able to - DANG kids ;).
I say good for you, although I don't think I will be joining you at the race ;) Cancer is huge in my family too, so I will most likely be doing the one here in May. Good luck to you!
And I think 5K are SOMETHING so don't sell yourself short. If they were so EASY more people would be doing them.
And yes, Ross uses his shirt, or hers, to wipe her nose and it makes me so angry.

March 28, 2008 at 6:05 PM  
Blogger Johnson said...

Wow, I am inspired!! I know I need to do something and some day...maybe...I'd like to also run a marathon!!! Good for you!!! I think I need to just set the goal and do it!!!

March 28, 2008 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Jami said...

lex mad props to you. I have no motivation to do anything like that, I wish I did but I think at the end of everyday I am just glad I got through the day. Call me Lazy but oh well some day I am going to be fit. Your awesome good luck with all your training.

March 28, 2008 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger The Favorite said...

Amy and I have been looking for a 5K to run too! Maybe we will join you, I'm not very fast, but I run the whole time and finish. We'll talk...

March 28, 2008 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

i did the logan triathlon last year, did you know that? i should've called you and had you come watch...it was humiliating. i was second to last and the only person behind me was my 70-year-old aunt. at least i finished.

good for you! have fun with it! i'm doing a 5k in april with andrea here in slc.

March 28, 2008 at 10:37 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Alexis, you did get the right Alicia. It's good to hear from you. Sounds like things are going well for you and your family. Good luck with the 5K, and it's no small thing, believe me.

March 28, 2008 at 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Lex. I did the St. George Marathon in 2005, and I'm not kidding you, it was the most amazing thing I've ever done. Besides giving birth...right?! :) I'm rooting for you to shoot for the marathon, but the 5K is a great place to start.

March 29, 2008 at 12:11 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

that's awesome! i started doing triathlons last year and love them! in fact my next one is in may in rocky point, mexico. having a race as a goal is a great motivator. i read/participate in another blog that you might like too. it is: marathonmommies.blogspot.com it's mom's from all over the country-some who are very experienced runners down to the very beginning--who come together to share experiences, ask questions, etc... it's really fun! check it out.

March 29, 2008 at 2:27 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

That is AWESOME!! You will do an amazing job I am sure. You can do it! My sister was NEVER a runner (her name is Alexis too ha!) She has now ran 4 races and one was a half marathon. She has LOVED it!! I can't wait to hear how your race go!

March 30, 2008 at 2:40 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wow, that's amazing! So did the Turbo Jam help get you motivated? I'm not doing so well at keeping it up consistently, but I'm doing it, and when I do, I get crazy ideas like running marathons! Keep us up to date!

March 30, 2008 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger DeGooyer Family said...

Good luck! I haven't done one for a LONG time.

March 31, 2008 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Strupp Family said...

You're crazy. Just kidding. Good luck with that and one day I'll be running next to you. :)

April 2, 2008 at 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home