Maple Week in New York March 21, 2009
Every March the State of New York celebrates Maple Week(I know it doesn't make sense..its a month long thing, but one week its celebrated..go figure)
Anyway
...the harvest of Maple Syrup.
They tap the maple trees and catch the sap in buckets and make the deliciousness that is Maple Syrup (accept No Substitutes!)

You can drive all over and see buckets like this on Maple trees.
Did you know you can tap any maple tree for syrup? But only the Sugar Maple has the most sugar content and makes the best syrup.
Do you know New York produces the most maple syrup? Even more than Vermont..in fact Vermont buys a lot of it from New York...yep its true!
In order for the sap to run..it needs the cold nights and warmer spring days (well warm for Western New York that is)
Also, it takes 40 jugs (or gallons) of sap to make one jug of maple syrup..hence the cost of buying real maple syrup. Syrup is also 98% water.
Here are some pictures from our Maple Weekend on March 21st.
No festival can be complete without..face painting

I couldn't believe how still H sat for this


M wasn't too sure about the wet brush on his face

H and daddy

going on the tour to learn how to make Maple Syrup

This little pond was a solid block of ice


The kids carrying the sap buckets to the 'sugar shanty' where its boiled into syrup.
Anyway
...the harvest of Maple Syrup.
They tap the maple trees and catch the sap in buckets and make the deliciousness that is Maple Syrup (accept No Substitutes!)
You can drive all over and see buckets like this on Maple trees.
Did you know you can tap any maple tree for syrup? But only the Sugar Maple has the most sugar content and makes the best syrup.
Do you know New York produces the most maple syrup? Even more than Vermont..in fact Vermont buys a lot of it from New York...yep its true!
In order for the sap to run..it needs the cold nights and warmer spring days (well warm for Western New York that is)
Also, it takes 40 jugs (or gallons) of sap to make one jug of maple syrup..hence the cost of buying real maple syrup. Syrup is also 98% water.
Here are some pictures from our Maple Weekend on March 21st.
No festival can be complete without..face painting
I couldn't believe how still H sat for this
M wasn't too sure about the wet brush on his face
H and daddy
going on the tour to learn how to make Maple Syrup
This little pond was a solid block of ice
The kids carrying the sap buckets to the 'sugar shanty' where its boiled into syrup.


11 Comments:
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I love learning about festivals around the country. Can't wait to find out about all the exciting happenings in Maryland. Eat some steamed shrimp for me. YUM!!!
Fun pics. You guys have definitely gotten to experience lots of new and exciting things living their in New York. Glad we got to come and visit you at least once. We love you all!!
I can't believe 'H' sat that still either - impressive. Your post made me want pancakes ;)
OHHH and we did have pancakes Megan..yummy delicious ones dripping with maple syrup..they had a pancake breakfast and hmmmm it was good..
that is so cool! I had no idea it would take so much sap to make a little syrup. Weird.
Looks like you guys are having a great time. When do I get to see you again?
Maple Weekend is the best! Glad you got to go, it looks like the weather was perfect!
That is more than I have ever known about syrup. :) Cute pics..really I think little H is the most darling girl I've ever seen!
VERY fun and educational!! And NOW - I do believe I'll make pancakes for dinner.
Wish I had some yummier syrup ...
:)
Awww, the Maple Festival! So fun!
I love Maple Syrup! Now I get why the real stuff is so much money! How fun for you guys!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home