Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Olympic Homage...a little late, but nontheless

As I said in an earlier post..I LOVE the Olympics! Especially the winter games. I was blessed with an amazing opportunity to work (and get paid..A LOT of money) for the 2002 games. My venue was the Utah Olympic Park (A.K.A. the bobsled, Luge and Skeleton track and Ski jumping).
Tammy T and I had a lot of fun and by the time it ended needed some serious sleep..most days we had to report to Park City by 6:00 a.m from Orem..and most days we wouldn't get off until after 11 or so then we had that drive..but ohh the memories!
It was amazing..as I said before...I thought I would share some of my pictures for this post..considering the Summer games just ended and the Winter ones will begin in a few years.
So for what its worth..enjoy the behind the scenes pictures.
Starting with Ski Jumping...

Look close, its kind of hard to see because of the sun in the picture but Yeah that dude is totally flying...and now take a look at the second picture..

Check out how far down that is...he has to sail through the air all the way down there..look at all those ants..I mean people, how would you like to do this for a living? We are at the starting point point.

Here we are at the bottom, 'R' and his friends came by for a visit. Even with all the hyped up security after 9-11 we were able to succesfully sneak my husband in behind the scenes to watch the bobsled races. It was great, while everyone had to sit on one side of the track all crammed in, we had lovely non-cramped seats on the other side of the track! Lucky us!

What the...hey how'd that get in there? hehehe

Nope you aren't seeing double..there ARE two Elvis's or Elvi's how lucky were we?


Bobsled, Luge and Skeleton...
Alas..no we didn't get to ride in a bobsled, but not for lack of trying. The very last day of shooting we could have paid like 200 bucks to take a ride, but we never found the 'guy' to talk to..dang! Oh well, I probably would have peed my pants.

Just checking one of our cameras before a race, had to make sure the lighting, and shading were right..boy was that fun to be called back and forth up and down that hill when it wasn't!

Taking a break from 'sweeping' the track..this wasn't actually our job, they had guys to do it, but we thought it would be fun to 'sweep' ice. We had to wear special ice shoes while on the track otherwise we would have gone down it and crossed the finish line 'sans' a sled and probably hurt pretty bad.

Me and the 'bloaks' from England, the younger guy was awsome! He actually broke his leg falling of a ladder onto ice one of the last days, sad. The older dude was a complete pervert! We were glad to be rid of him.

7 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

How amazing Lex! How did you get a paying job? I got picked to be a volunteer but didn't follow through, bummer.

August 26, 2008 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger The Davies Family said...

I applied through International Sports Broadcasting (hence the ISB logo on everything we are wearing)..they were the host broadcasters and I went through a training and screening process and by some amazing luck got picked and got payed!

August 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

You have done so many fun things and have so many awesome memories. You are my famous behind the scenes friend ;) My siblings and parents went to a few events, but I missed most of it cause I was living in St. George. I did; however, go to the Barenaked Ladies concert. haha. What happened to them anyway?

And I don't know if I believe you that the last guys was a perve...you have a pretty big smile on your face ;)

August 26, 2008 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

What a great opportunity and an amazing experience! I too love the Olympics. Do you remember the Olympic Rings on the mountain? So beautiful!

August 26, 2008 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Seriously so cool!

August 26, 2008 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wow, that is amazing! I was in Brazil at the time, so I only know what it was like by everyone's pictures! Love the kissy one! ;)

August 30, 2008 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger gantrieb said...

What a fun experience. I didn't even get to go to the Olympics in Salt Lake..new baby, freezing temperatures don't go hand in hand, but it looks like you had a blast!

September 1, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home