Weekend trip to North Carolina
So my girlfriend and I made a quick trip to North Carolina this past weekend..without kids!!!
What a getaway!!
She's from Elizabeth City (about an hour from the Outer Banks) so we loaded up Friday afternoon and made the five hour drive that night.
After a good nights sleep..we went to her family reunion...hahaha!!
I was introduced as a sister..and funny thing..people believed it! It was great! Only I was missing something quite important..that all so charming Southern Accent! blast! oh well...
we ate DE-licious southern fried chicken....Carolina Barbeque..unlike anything I've ever had..no tomato based sauce there my friends..yum!! so vinegar-y! Okra (Ocra?) ok..hush puppies...cole slaw and rolls! so good!
moving on.
After that we drove to the Outer Banks!
I have never seen a more beautiful beach in my life! We were at Nag's Head (Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk) and walked along the beaches. So lovely! Even with the crazy high waves due to Igor off the coast of Bermuda. We couldn't swim but had a great time relaxing anyway.
We found these little black weird looking things that she started gathering..she said they always called them 'witches purses' as a kid. So she started collecting quite the brew to make a fun Halloween decoration with...when some kind stranger informed us...they were Sting Ray eggs..and could get pretty stinky! After she attempted to carry them to the car anyway..our complaints of the smell made her think otherwise (us being the real sister and me).So she tossed them aside.
While we were there we visited Roanoake Island..yep..in other words the Lost Colony of Roanoke (dundundun!) That was pretty cool. We got to see the remnants of an old earthen fort they built back in 1585 to protect themselves. Apparently there is a play they put on about the colony from May to August..looks like it would be so great! The stage over looks the sound! Amazing! Gotta go back with the kids!
Anyway..such a great time..and after all of that..I realized I didn't take a single picture!!
What was I thinking???
Oh yeah..pregnancy brain! thats what! Sorry..you'll just have to imagine how lovely it was!
What a getaway!!
She's from Elizabeth City (about an hour from the Outer Banks) so we loaded up Friday afternoon and made the five hour drive that night.
After a good nights sleep..we went to her family reunion...hahaha!!
I was introduced as a sister..and funny thing..people believed it! It was great! Only I was missing something quite important..that all so charming Southern Accent! blast! oh well...
we ate DE-licious southern fried chicken....Carolina Barbeque..unlike anything I've ever had..no tomato based sauce there my friends..yum!! so vinegar-y! Okra (Ocra?) ok..hush puppies...cole slaw and rolls! so good!
moving on.
After that we drove to the Outer Banks!
I have never seen a more beautiful beach in my life! We were at Nag's Head (Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk) and walked along the beaches. So lovely! Even with the crazy high waves due to Igor off the coast of Bermuda. We couldn't swim but had a great time relaxing anyway.
We found these little black weird looking things that she started gathering..she said they always called them 'witches purses' as a kid. So she started collecting quite the brew to make a fun Halloween decoration with...when some kind stranger informed us...they were Sting Ray eggs..and could get pretty stinky! After she attempted to carry them to the car anyway..our complaints of the smell made her think otherwise (us being the real sister and me).So she tossed them aside.
While we were there we visited Roanoake Island..yep..in other words the Lost Colony of Roanoke (dundundun!) That was pretty cool. We got to see the remnants of an old earthen fort they built back in 1585 to protect themselves. Apparently there is a play they put on about the colony from May to August..looks like it would be so great! The stage over looks the sound! Amazing! Gotta go back with the kids!
Anyway..such a great time..and after all of that..I realized I didn't take a single picture!!
What was I thinking???
Oh yeah..pregnancy brain! thats what! Sorry..you'll just have to imagine how lovely it was!


4 Comments:
That sounds wonderful!!!! I can see it now.....
Yep! I could totally picture it as I read. You are a great writer! What an incredible little get-away. Those kind of outings are so refreshing.
Sounds like such a fun trip!
sounds so fun, c has been dying to go to the outer bank! i am in desperate need of a girls tirp.... aaahhhhh, memories of nyc are popping into my head
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home