Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep
So yesterday I got a phone call that honestly, I was very nervous to get. I am part of an organization called, Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep its a group of photographers who volunteer to take pictures free of charge, for families. It sounds simple enough, but these are very special 'clients.' The babies have either passed away at birth or will soon pass away. Its a wonderful service because we essentially provide them with the only pictures of their beautiful, sweet babies.
So yesterday was my first 'session'
I tried to mentally prepare myself for what I was about to experience, but I don't think you can fully prepare yourself.
It was hard.
I was called to assist another photographer so I was able to stand back a little and observe the situation. As I stood there watching this poor family grieving over this perfect, beautiful, full term little girl my heart went out to them.
I could only imagine the loss they were feeling.
Even if I had the perfect words to console them, it would seem so useless.
We tried to capture every sweet, tender moment and be as unintrusive as possible. The grandparents and great grandparents were there and they kept leaving the room..I guess they thought it was just for the mom and dad, I finally stopped the great grandfather before he left and asked if he wanted some pictures..he teared up and got very excited at the chance. He and his wife then held their sweet, great-grandbaby..so tenderly and lovingly. Then the grandparents took a turn and the baby's teenage uncle. It was very hard not to get emotional..
I was worried to let them see me cry, but now and then I had to wipe tears away as I thought about my own children and tried to put myself in their shoes.
It was a hard experience, you expect it when you sign on as a volunteer, but you never think you'll actually get called...its a great service and I am proud to be a part of it. I think he got some wondeful images..ones they will surely treasure forever.
I don't think this will ever get easier.
So yesterday was my first 'session'
I tried to mentally prepare myself for what I was about to experience, but I don't think you can fully prepare yourself.
It was hard.
I was called to assist another photographer so I was able to stand back a little and observe the situation. As I stood there watching this poor family grieving over this perfect, beautiful, full term little girl my heart went out to them.
I could only imagine the loss they were feeling.
Even if I had the perfect words to console them, it would seem so useless.
We tried to capture every sweet, tender moment and be as unintrusive as possible. The grandparents and great grandparents were there and they kept leaving the room..I guess they thought it was just for the mom and dad, I finally stopped the great grandfather before he left and asked if he wanted some pictures..he teared up and got very excited at the chance. He and his wife then held their sweet, great-grandbaby..so tenderly and lovingly. Then the grandparents took a turn and the baby's teenage uncle. It was very hard not to get emotional..
I was worried to let them see me cry, but now and then I had to wipe tears away as I thought about my own children and tried to put myself in their shoes.
It was a hard experience, you expect it when you sign on as a volunteer, but you never think you'll actually get called...its a great service and I am proud to be a part of it. I think he got some wondeful images..ones they will surely treasure forever.
I don't think this will ever get easier.


11 Comments:
how sad. good for you lex, that is such a great service. i know several people who have had pictures taken of infants in this situation and they really treasure those pictures.
I have seen the name of that company on people's blogs who have lost their little baby - so is it nation wide? Any way, there is yet to be someone's blog with those pictures that I have gone to where I haven't completely bawled. I don't know how people get through it other than having the knowledge that they are in a better place and we will see them again. My heart goes out to anyone who has had to experience those feelings. You truly helped them hold on to those few moments with their child.
Wow, you are amazing, and this is such a neat thing. I can't even imagine the difficultly behind it. What a difference you're going to make in people's lives FOREVER. Thanks for sharing this, it puts our own lives into perspective. I miss you Lex, and I'd love to get together sometime.
This is one of the greatest gifts that you can give! I will forever be grateful to the lady who took pictures of Maxwell for me. They truly are treasures! Lex your the best!!!
WOW! I am totally cring right now. I just can't imagine what it would be like to be in the shoes of the parents. But it is a very good service. You should be proud to be part of something like that.
I know that I would have a hard time not to sit and bawl with the parents. That would be so hard...
On another note...
The Yoga thing was so FUNNY!! I forgot about that story, but remember it like it was yesterday. Man WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?! I Love you to death LEx. I miss you TONS!!
This struck a chord in my heart because my sweet cousin lost her little baby when she was 30 weeks pregnant. She shared his photos with only a select few and I will NEVER forget those images of sweet Caleb. She treasures those photos and is so grateful that someone took pictures of her son. I am so amazed and impressed that you stepped out of your comfort zone to provide such an incredible service for someone else. You are one special lady whom I am proud to call my friend.
It's hard not to tear up just reading that. There's a similar service in Logan that was a sister-group to the NICU group I was apart of. One of my friends had the sad experience of having to have them come in after the birth of her baby. But she absolutely treasures those pictures and displays them throughout her house. Good for you Alexis. What a great thing to be apart of!
What an incredible service. It is so neat that you are a part of that. My heart really goes out to those famiies, and I'm sure those pictures are treasured always.
That is a wonderful thing to do. The parents will be forever grateful for those pictures. You got me crying too.
that is so great - thank you for sharing your experience! glad i found you.
I couldn't even read your post without getting emotional. I know it must be so hard for those taking the pictures, but a real treasure for the families. How neat for you to be a part of it.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home