The Delicious-NESS that IS Funnel Cakes!!!
Funnel cakes..new concept for me..I can't believe I have gone this long in my life
WITHOUT ever tasting this deliciously sweet concoction.
A gourmet treat..it is NOT, however its a summer time fairgrounds staple and its HUGE out here!
But I do remember seeing them in Utah at Fairs and parks.
We had our first taste at a Navy Band concert a few weeks back...DELICIOUS!!
And based on the way its cooked...fried in oil and plastered with powdered sugar..I'm 100% sure its COMPLETELY healthy!
No, this delicious little treat certainly DOES NOT contribute to America's growing obesity problem..
but I digress...
In case you are curious..here is the recipe courtesy of the Food Network's Alton Brown
Funnel Cake
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 10 min Yields:10 cakes
Ingredients
1 cup water
3/4 stick butter (6 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1 cup eggs, about 4 large eggs and 2 whites
Vegetable oil, for frying
Powdered sugar, for topping
Directions
Boil water, butter, sugar, and salt together in a saucepan. Add flour and work it in until it is all incorporated and dough forms a ball. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a standing mixer and let cool for 3 to 4 minutes. With mixer lowest speed, add eggs, 1 at a time, making sure the first egg is completely incorporated before continuing. Once all eggs have been added and mixture is smooth, put dough in a piping bag fitted with a number 12 tip. Heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil in a heavy pan. Pipe dough into oil, making a free-form lattice pattern; cook until browned, flipping once. Remove cake from oil, drain on paper towels, and top with powdered sugar. Continue until all of the batter is used.
MMMMMM---oh yeah...can't you just taste the cholesterol?


3 Comments:
I can't believe you have never had funnel cake before! Have you never been to an amusement park or fair?! Yes - they are delicious! I like them with strawberries and whip cream on top cause then the strawberries TOTALLY make up for the rest of the treat ;)
They are great, also in Vermont where I am from they like to put Maple syrup on them too with or with out the powdered sugar, I have also seen it with cinnamon...I grew up with that stuff, I am totally craving it now!
Looks delish! We had these in Pella, Iowa at a Dutch tulip festival - it's great to have a recipe!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home